Rockport, the one in Maine

I have begun a sentimental journey, a vacation Kathy and I planned before she found her way to heaven on February 29. Since “Neologophilia” has been an unexpectedly private space for opinionating, I have decided to make it a travel journal for the next three weeks.

Rockport is Maine’s model of tourism. Off the beaten path of Route 1, nestled on the coast near its popular sister Camden, Rockport enjoys a little obscurity outside of its impressive Samoset Resort and its harbor, where Andre the Seal frolicked in the 1980’s. I don’t know if he is still there, but I hope to find out.

When I visited last, which had to be two decades ago, it had no fashionable watering holes or retail stores or attractions except for Andre, the seal. There was a fine restaurant near the harbor for the sailing set, but now I forget its name, and it does not show up in a casual search.

Rockport traffics in Maine’s best natural resource: seclusion.The Samoset has a popular golf club, but I doubt any PGA events have been held there. Rockport has a beautiful oceanside park, where I attended a wedding back in the 1980’s, but no one speaks breathlessly about it as the tourists might of Mount Battie in Camden, with its magnificent prospect of the harbor. Rockport is the place to miss the traffic of Camden or the lively retail business of Freeport, so it is my destination.

Today I am driving from Wilbraham, MA around Route 495 onto Route 95 to hurry by the tourist destinations on the Maine coast, beyond Kennebunkport and Freeport, to the splicing of Route One from the turnpike, following it not quite to Camden, but breaking for the coast after Rockland. There, at the Samoset, I will begin my vacation, first destination of my sentimental journey.

First time I will visit there without Kathy. Lonely, secluded, breathtaking views and a place to contemplate the rest of my life. The known and the unknown. I’m on my way.

Arrived in good shape Friday afternoon. When I saw my condo unit at the Samoset I had to shed a tear or two. It was just what Kathy would have have liked: ocean view with balcony; blue/ tan decor; sailboat theme in pictures. Here’s a few shots of the place:
Condo at Samoset Maine View from Condo II View From My Condo at Samoset

One thought on “Rockport, the one in Maine

1. Yes, I like this. Even better than the email, but no pictures. I would like to know the whole world wanted to sample secluded forests, colorful mesas, boiling water flowing down next to a roadway. I drew that one from New Mexico, a favorite memory. What you may unknowingly be doing is jogging my best memories. Must I look up the definition of the title? I was just about to go to the Acadia site when I saw this link. I have been watching the National Parks documentary on PBS. PS< we are always on "our" way. I am reminded that without sadness how can we know complete joy? Thanks for the opportunity to share on "paper" your sentimental journey.