The Labyrinthine Pause

We are near the end of a heavenly journey through “the green spot” of our lives: Hawaii. We are grateful for the mobility and time that permitted this pause and journeying together. The “green spot” is a place noted in the description of the “Labyrinth” below.

Hanalei and Kilauea were points on a journey I began six years ago with Kathy– storied green spots of our life together. The journey ended for our shared life ten months later.

One week ago the same journey resumed with Victoria, retracing the steps of the labyrinth, steps blessed over again, because of a different time, a different partner. I feel as if returning from the center of the labyrinth, finding new miracles and blessings in this second life.

Peace to all who seek the labyrinthine life– never certain, never guaranteed–only blessed.

We took a similar helicopter excursion–through the Waimea Canyon, out to the NaPali Coast, back through the mountains I hardly remembered from a previous trip across Kauai.

This one with the doors off! Some of the waterfalls were nearly splashing us.  The ascents of the green mountains too sharp to allow growth, yet they do! They defy gravity.

As much as the flight over Kauai was nostalgic and new, the return to locations on the southeast coast was a bit stale and unrewarding. The wind was brisk, the surf was up, but the old Kauai seemed to be receding to the new one of resorts and shopping malls.

Friday afternoon we went up the coast in search of a T-shirt and some memories of Kapaa–a town losing its native charm to the resorts. The beaches are as white as ever, but the dining choices not as quaint. We settled on “Lemongrass” and were not disappointed. Great appetizers– and the fish (Aku or Mahi-Mahi?) was inspiring, if not brilliantly recalled.

I’ll add to these photos later.

Returning from the center is my theme, a great way to recall the second half of life on the Garden Isle.  Despite the over-developed feeling in some places, it is so fresh and rejuvenating in most places that the aging pilgrims can savor all it offers.