Midweek Guide to Rockland and Camden, ME

Hot Tip! For Lobster, go to Rockland Cafe, Route One, Rockland.
Rockland cafe
NOT TO the Lobster Pound, Lincolnville
For the price of an ordinary, skimpy lobster roll at the Lobster Pound, I got this at the Rockland Cafe
Whole Lobster - Roll
The complete contents of a lobster, plus fries and cole slaw.
My second hot tip is a Scottish Pub in Camden called “The Droughty Bear” Andrew Stewart, the proprietor, schooled me on scotch whiskey by sampling out 0.5 oz shot glasses: Bruichladdich Laddie was my pick, with a light touch of peet. You can see the gentleman featured in Zest Magazine, Maine’s dispenser of culture:
https://zestmaine.com/
A side order of Rarebit Crusts kept my legs under me after I slid away from the bar.
The place is on the main drag of Camden. http://www.drouthybear.com/

Besides eating and drinking, I took in the Farnsworth Art Museum today, one block north of the Rockland Cafe on Union Street.
Farnsworth MuseumThey have a considerable collection of the Wyeths, Andrew, Jamie and N.C., all painters of Maine coastal landscapes. Unfortunately the Wyeth Center was under renovation, so I was limited to the two Wyeth galleries in the main building. I was struck by “Eye of the Storm,” which showed the light of a lighthouse at the center of a brewing storm, an image of stability in turmoil. One gallery had nothing but watercolors featuring dories, nineteenth century curved fishing sculls.
They also featured an unusual exhibit of photographs of Koichiro Kurita, a Japanese artist whose work tries to capture the vision of Henry David Thoreau. He uses a 19th century photography technique, which gives a brownish, grayish tint to his prints. They displayed his local subjects, photographs taken in Acadia, So. Lincoln, and Belfast,emphasizing reflecting ponds, texture of pine needles, and heavy clouds.
Between art and whiskey I navigated a light hiking trail on Beech Hill between Camden and Rockport.
Beech Nut on Beech Hill Rockport
Saw spring blueberries (not yet ripe) on the trail,
Spring Blueberries
Had a view of the Camden Mountains
Camden Mountains
From “Beech Nut”
Beech Nut on Beech Hill Rockport
History of Beech Nut
Built 100 years ago as a picnic stop for Rockport’s Gribbel family.
Mountains Near Camden
The front side of the cottage had a view of Rockport Harbor
Beech Hill Seaside
and “Owls Head” outcropping from the mainland.
Owl's HeadSketch Owls Head
This entire Preserve has been cultivated and protected by the Coastal Mountains Land Trust, which is keeping the growth down for birds and wildlife that require grasslands to breed and survive.They are cultivating blueberries as a cash crop and a dominant plant to keep the ecology stable.
Glad I got out today. Expecting rain tomorrow.