The Stage is Set for Baseball

First Spring Training Game In: 1 DAYS 3 HRS 21 MINS

(Reads the Counter on the Red Sox Website)

It’s kind of a hilarious build-up to the Northeastern game, which the Red Sox always win by a least two touchdowns.  And when I visited JetBlue Stadium Tuesday I was told to stay away from the workout field, where the young prospects were sprinting and loosening up their arms.

But I did take the 2:30 tour of JetBlue and enjoyed the downtime before the curtain rises on the 2017 season.  The guide paid tribute to Ted Williams, mentioning his five years of military service, which minimized his Hall of Fame statistics and told the story behind the right field Pesky Pole, which granted Johnny Pesky 5 career homers with its inviting proximity. Pesky is the only player whose number is displayed on the upper right field deck, while not being in the Hall of Fame.

Below I am pictured in the Red Sox dugout getting ready to take David Price out of the game for pitching too deliberately. You can visit the bathroom in the time he takes between pitches.

Other highlights of the day-before-the-day:

My car rental, Volkswagen Bug, viewed from my third floor room: 

I love the bug. Feel like a college kid on Spring Break!

My humble apartment in Crestwood Suites:

This was the only time I was glad Kathy wasn’t with me. Too much would offend her:

noxious corridor odor, vaguely mixed with fumes from smoking rooms, threadbare sheets, kitchen barren of plates or utensils. I bought a cup, a plate, a spoon and measuring cups from Target across the street.

But not to complain, because I am here for the Red Sox, not for creature comforts. They would be bereft without my commentary and spirited support.

Rain today, all day.  Going to Sanibel Island, a favorite haunt when Kathy and I came here last. Meeting Glenda for dinner at her place on Shellpoint Boulevard. She is only 11 miles from my headquarters.

And one day and two hours from now you know where I’ll be.

One thought on “The Stage is Set for Baseball