Well Done (Me, Not the Red Sox)

Today I had standing room on the upper deck, where I was nearly barbecued, despite availing myself of the complimentary sunblock from the dispensers. A gorgeous, almost cloudless day, with slightly oppressive heat between 2 and 3 p.m.

The Red Sox again held back many of their first stringers, with the exception of Hanley Ramirez and the wunderkinds of the outfield: (L-R) Benintendi, Bradley and Betts*. The Kabuki Theater in the picture below portrays the game-ending dance the three B’s perform at the end of a regular season win.  I am predicting that these three will emerge this year as the best outfield in baseball, although they did nothing to distinguish themselves today.

The view from above was tremendous. A pair of binoculars gave me a good view of home plate. I had a good view of Henry Owens warming up (below right) and thought he was a little wild. Sure enough, he walked Lagares, the first batter. The third batter singled and Lagares scored on an infield ground ball (1-0). The Mets added to their lead with home runs in the second and third innings. I am honestly hoping Owens does not make the team, because he takes way too long between pitches.

The Red Sox didn’t get a base hit until Ramirez doubled in the seventh. Then the remarkable Mr. Bogusevic ((boh-gus-SEV-ik) blasted one over the right field fence for the Red Sox’ only two runs. If the Sox keep one more outfielder for the regular season, this guy might be him. Anyway he made my day, because the Red Sox did not get another hit.  The Red Sox Magazine says “Bogie” (my nickname) spent last year in Japan, playing for  the Orix Buffaloes. (Do they have buffaloes in Japan?)

Below the view of the practice fields from my upper deck vantage point.

Finally, I pay tribute below to the hospitable Duffy’s Sports Bar, home of the two-fer beer deal, and a rather complicated buyer’s reward program that I would definitely cash in if I stayed another week. Unfortunately Duffy’s has not spread to the northern climes, although it is all over Florida.  I am really not a sports bar fan, but this place was very welcoming, laid-back, and right across the street from my lodging.

I have one final game with the Twins tomorrow (Saturday), then I am homeward bound arriving around 11 p.m. Unless I get deep-fried on the upper deck tomorrow, it will be a highly satisfactory week of sun, baseball, beer, and plenty of rest. That adds up to the perfect vacation.

*Just double-checked and Mookie Betts was not in the line-up today. Instead it was Bryce Brentz, who maintains the alliteration of the outfield, if not their potency at the plate.

One thought on “Well Done (Me, Not the Red Sox)

1. yeah, well I told you to cheer for the Yankees, but no you did not listen plus you need a real game. lets say OHIO STATE.