Day One: A Lovely Stretch of Highway

Oh, it’s a lovely stretch of highway

leading me on

And my favorite thing is to miss my home.  

[Stretch Of The Highway  ]  James Taylor

August 4,  Johnson City, New York

Travel is all about disorientation and nobody gets disoriented quicker than me, once I leave the house. Plugged in my destination (Binghampton, NY) to the GPS and shortly discovered that the alleged left exit in Toledo was on the right side. Backtracked and found the GPS had planned a series of back roads for me to get to US 90 east. Now I’m worried it’s taking me the 7-hour route, instead of the 6-hour one. But no, there’s Cleveland, and I’m headed northeast, as I’d hoped. Disorientation.

Heavy showers in Cleveland, but the rest is beautiful, low puffy clouds in the Allegheny’s leading on a lovely stretch of highway. Adding in a few rest stops, it was a ten-hour drive to Johnson City, NY.

Almost drove into darkness, which is dangerous when you are trying to find a motel at the end of day. But here I am– Red Roof in the Allegheny’s. Wizzy and I are exhausted, but we both traveled well, singing James Taylor, Peter, Paul and Mary, Paul Simon and the Faure Requiem.

Woke from an epic Confusion Dream, but it’s a beautiful Day Two, and I am probably an hour from Cooperstown, the Baseball Hall of Fame.  The drive into the Catskills is another lovely stretch of highway, and I am pumped to revisit the hallowed halls.

My favorite thing is to miss my home.

One thought on “Day One: A Lovely Stretch of Highway

1. Hi Bill,
    Your writing is awesome! The flow is beautiful.
    I hope you had fun and enjoyed the Baseball Hall of Fame. I trust you are on your way to to your final destination.
    Please don’t miss home because it is cold and windy. It reminds me of a late fall day.
    Keep your thoughts coming! ~J