My Brother, Doug

When I was three years old I greeted my first sibling: Douglas Allen Tucker. He was chubby and cute like a lot of babies, and I had fun playing with him. He made musical grunting noises when he was happy.  Sometimes I got to feed him to give my mother a break. He loved to eat and be fed.

When I was four or five my parents began to worry about his development.  He seemed unresponsive to stimuli, except for food. He wasn’t walking. He couldn’t handle a spoon. My parents visited several doctors my fifth year, an expense that kept us behind financially for a long time.

We eventually got the diagnosis of cerebral palsy. My brother would probably never develop beyond his one-year-old alertness. He would eventually walk, but with an unsteady gait typical of cerebral palsy. He would never speak beyond his singing/ grunting noises.  He grew longer and skinnier. He looked like a starving war victim, but he ate well. Despite a lot of practice, he could never feed himself.

This was an endless trauma for my mother. When he couldn’t handle a spoon, it was the breaking point. She would often leave the room sobbing, and my father would say “Oh, dear,” and follow her into the bedroom. They would shut the door to protect me from my mother’s grief.

I found the trauma confusing, because Doug was the same kid he always had been. I would talk to him, and he would grunt back to me. When he was happy his voice would ascend an octave and would make an “Ee-ee-ee”. He made this noise when I chased him around the fireplace. We had a central fireplace that separated the kitchen and the living room. Doug’s main recreation was awkwardly walking around it. When I chased him, he would make his ee-ee-ee sound, raise his hands over his head and clasp them, one under the other, and we knew he was happy. Sometimes I still raise one arm over and around my head, when I am relaxing. I think I learned that from him.  He was fun for me, too. Doug was just a baby brother, in my mind. It was my mother’s weeping that upset me.

My mother had difficulty caring for Doug, because he wore a diaper for his whole life and had to be changed often. He also “failed to prosper,” and that seemed tragic and inconsistent with a loving God. We went from one healing minister to another, asking for prayer and hoping for a miracle. When nothing changed, that seemed more cruel and heedless of a loving God. My mother never lost her faith, but she never stopped saying, ” I don’t know why God allowed this. He will never grow up to be a normal adult. I don’t know what his purpose is.”

My grandmother came to live with us for several years, stayed in Doug’s room, and generally mothered him every minute of the day and night.  She could not comprehend how God would let this happen, but she was not bitter.  Maybe a few words for the clumsy doctors.

She held Doug in her lap and sang to him, with a little bouncing on her knees:

Ride a cock-horse to Banbury Cross,
To see a fine lady upon a white horse;
Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,
And she shall have music wherever she goes.

He seemed to like it; he was musical in his own way.

When I was ten, my mother became pregnant with my sister. They didn’t announce the pregnancy until she was well along. My mother had had two miscarriages before this successful pregnancy, and my parents were nervous about the baby’s development and birth, because of my brother. They had been given the theory that my brother’s condition resulted from the umbilical cord getting wrapped around his neck, depriving him of oxygen. My mother always suspected it was some malpractice of the physician that caused my brother’s disability.

Our family doctor advised us to place Doug in a facility for the developmentally disabled before my sister was born. I wasn’t privy to the discussion, but it was out of concern for my sister as well as my mother. It did not seem likely my mother could handle both children with equal care. So my brother was placed in the Willowbrook State School on Staten Island. It wasn’t a pleasant place, but my brother seemed unaware.  We saw him in an open indoor recreation area each month.  Occasionally he showed marks of being hit by other children.

We did not know how bad it was until Robert Kennedy, our U.S. Senator, investigated Willowbrook, forced its closure, and got the residents placed elsewhere. My brother had already come to stay at the Melville State School, much closer to us.  An entry from Wikipedia summarized:

By 1965, Willowbrook housed over 6,000 intellectually disabled people despite having a maximum capacity of 4,000. Senator Robert F. Kennedy toured the institution in 1965 and proclaimed that individuals in the overcrowded facility were “living in filth and dirt, their clothing in rags, in rooms less comfortable and cheerful than the cages in which we put animals in a zoo” and offered a series of recommendations for improving conditions.[8]
For the rest or his life, Doug enjoyed certain privileges at every place he stayed, because of his history with Willowbrook. He always got the best bed and the best care. It was all the same to him.
As tragic as this episode of Willowbrook was, it was my mother’s weeping every month, when we left the facility, that troubled me. For her it was partly the pain of leaving him and partly the pain of his stunted existence.  My mother was convinced, and she was probably right, that he never recognized us. We were only the nice family that brought him ice cream.
My father’s discomfort with my mother’s grief closed my emotional door. I don’t remember crying until twenty years later at my grandmother’s funeral. Even that was privately shared in the car afterward. It wasn’t that I felt it was unmanly, but because it exposed lack of control.  It exposed your pain.
After Doug was moved upstate, we saw him less and less. I made my last visit to suburban Albany on a trip from Michigan to Cape Cod. With a furrowed brow, Doug looked a little darker than when we were kids. As usual I brought ice cream, and that greatly interested him. His care-givers spoke warmly of  him. He never bothered anyone else, but he could not be induced to participate in organized play. He loved to eat.
More than a year later I received a phone call  from a nurse in a hospital somewhere in upstate New York, who said Doug could no longer swallow, and he was eating with a tube through his belly button. It was startlingly clear that he had nothing left to live for. He was recovering from a respiratory illness, and I made it clear no heroic measures should be taken to preserve his life. A  couple of months later I was informed of his death.
My mother was so wrong about Doug having no purpose. Beside being my boyhood companion he gave me an empathy for disabled children and adults. He gave me a tenderness of heart. Capped over for years, my tears started to bubble up in my thirties and later sprung up as my uncle was dying.  I was thirty-seven. I have barely paused weeping for joy or grief since then. I started to cry at the beginning of writing this paragraph for love of my only brother. Doug got under my skin and found my tender self.
When my tears well up at a sappy movie, when they leak at a young people’s concert or theater production, when they mist my eyes as I sing a hymn about mercy, when they rise from the deep as I am writing about the poor or sick or weak of mind, I remember Doug. That was his purpose for me.