Backroad Happiness

Spectacular Maine Day: sunny, cool, dry.
Started at the Oxbow Brewery in Newcastle to sample the local wares.
The Farmhouse Ale was the best, but generally a hoppy sample of beers.
Many of my friends would glory in the selection. I was more netural, even found the porter a little bitter.
Oxbow SignOxbow Tasting Room
I planned two walks from the local preservation brochure, all around the Pemaquid peninsula near Bristol. The first at Bass Rock was a quick walk near the shore, and it featured a round hole in the ledge, that looked like a small well. No accounting for it.
Bass Rock SignRound Hole
The Laverna Preserve was more of hike, about three miles back and forth. The preserve is apparently named after St Francis of Assisi, but I don’t know how. The benefactor shared a love of nature with Francis. This trail covered wetlands where wooden bridges had to be constructed over several streams.
Laverna signLaverna Bridge

The ledges themselves were upheavals of slate-like rocks at the shore. They jutted 20-25 feet into the bay, allowing hikers to view the coastland up and down.
Laverna Ledges to EastLaverna Ledges South
I sat here for ten minutes, long enough to see flock of Eider Ducks paddle by. The male is a striking white, with black head and tail. http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/common-eider#ad-image-0 The female is more a speckled brown variety. Yesterday I had lunch in Damariscotta at “King Eider.” Coincidence? I think not! But why?
Laverna Ledges
A pleasant walk with just a few black flies rising with the warming weather. Surprised to see them in May, but the locals see them from April to September.

Finished the day at the Damriscotta Grill– lobster risotto and Pemaquid Ale– both new to me and both a punch for the palate.
Damariscotta Grill

Feels like a good finale for the trip. Have to go pack.

2 thoughts on “Backroad Happiness

1. Just a ducky day! Sounds great, nature at its very best. see you soon. May 16-17 seal coating, don’t know how disruptive it will be.
    diane