For the Moon Who Deserves Better Company

Dear Lord, thanks for the half moon smiling at me as I crossed my driveway to pick up the morning paper, the lofty character concealing his upper half,  making me fill the rest. Thanks for the shining target for the spaceship Artemis launched yesterday, a goal for aimless America.  For the mystery of the waning rock above, lonely in his terrestrial neighborhood, for his joyful silent brilliance, I give thanks.

The moon deserves better company, left alone to reflect the absent sun, waning without attention, till one evening disappearing altogether. Lord, do we ever take note of the pale outline ironically named the “new moon”?  A moon without a solar spark to gain slightest notice? How sad to start a new phase in total darkness! I know I’d like a few comments. “Nice phase you started there! I appreciate the effort.”

Remind me, O Lord, of my dark friend on his birthday November 23. I made a great fuss when he was full at the beginning of the month, but now he is slipping into the background with typical self-effacement.  I admire his contented isolation, his disregard for fame.

Thanks for his model of cosmic modesty, his landing surface and launching pad, his peaceful rest area for our trip to Mars.

With gratitude for Brian Doyle and a Book of Uncommon Prayer.